Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week 2: Days 1 & 2

Selecting is Protecting


Being selective doesn’t mean just making wiser choices, it can actually mean cutting whole entire things out of your life.

Every time you go the movie, rent a movie, or buy the DVD, you are investing in a lifestyle that does not mesh with your belief systems. Mine started with Brad Pitt. Boy did I gush over him before I was saved. Now, I can’t stand the site of that cheating, pot-smoking, God hating louse! I have officially boycotted all his movies. I refuse to see them regardless of how appealing the storyline appears because I know by going to one of his movies, I’m paying his bills. Don’t you get that? WE are what makes Hollywood lucrative. We are the ones who make the celebrities. Not the movie producers, not the writers…but us! Every dime we invest is money in their greedy, grungy pockets. And with every penny we give them, they invest it in demoralizing our marriages, our children, and our society as a whole. We are basically paying them to ruin us! We give them money to mock us, portray a false picture of us, and humiliate us. By us, I mean Christians and/or Conservatives.

Cutting “things” out of my life isn’t a difficult task. When we live to do the right thing in hopes of not only changing ourselves, but ultimately making a lasting impression on the world, we need to chop it on the block.

Decisions, Decisions


Oh boy, here’s my lifelong agony. What to do, what to do? Oh well, I’ll just do nothing.

Partow hit the nail on the head when she said that we are inundated with varieties of every kind and every thing. This is where the world gets us, catches us off-guard and knocks us on the head. Partow explains, “To cope with the complexity, some people let others select for them. They go with the flow and unquestioningly follow the crowd. They take the path of least resistance.” You know what I wrote next to this statement? “I sometimes just don’t choose anything at all and quit instead. I get too overwhelmed.”

I have yet to finish my college education because I just don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. So I opted to be nothing. I mean, I’m something. I’m a mom. But do you know how many “job titles” I’ve held over the course of my twenty professional years? I was a:
§  Receptionist
§  Office Clerk
§  Training Coordinator
§  Trainer
§  Editor
§  Marketing Coordinator
§  Executive Assistant
§  Freelance Writer
§  Scriptwriter
§  Retail Clerk
§  Cashier
§  Cocktail Waitress
§  Bartender
§  Sales Consultant

To this day, I’m still trying to figure out what to do with myself. I don’t know which one of those titles suit me best.

You should see me trying to make decisions on office supplies, or groceries. Major purchases, like computers, cell phones, or TVs…forget it. That takes MONTHS! I just…don’t…know! So, most of the time I just…don’t.

Ask any modern day woman why she’s so unhappy, she will tell you she’s overwhelmed. She confused. She’s overworked. There’s not enough time in the day. Sound familiar? Because too many women are trying to have it all. Have you seen how much “all” there is out there!? Trying to have it all will push you over the all-encompassing edge. Who can do it all? Who can even try? The modern day woman is trying to be: a career woman, a mother, a wife, a best friend, a daughter, a sister, a car pool, a Soccer mom, a PTA leader, a chef, a housewife, a volunteer. The list could go on and on. 

I’m not a morning person at all. And God help me, I’m trying to get up at 5:45 AM every morning for TAG and writing. Before I know it, it’s 8 AM and my son needs to get out of bed because he’s been bouncing around in there since 6:30. By that time I’m stressing out because after getting my iced coffee, letting the dog out, and feeding the cats, I only had a few choice minutes with God. And now I’m feeling guilty because my son’s doing an Indian chant aching to get out of his crib and start the day. Again…who has time for all the other “stuff”? I can barely make it to 8 AM without becoming exhausted.  

With that said, my areas that need a bit more attention to selection are: financial priorities, diet/food, and time usage—go figure!

Rooted


God must be doing something amazing in me, because I seem to always be one day ahead of myself, almost as if our daily assignments/topics are confirmation for what He’s trying to do. Yesterday I posted on the Proverbs 31 Women facebook page that I incorporate scriptures into my daily affirmations, and I actually used Psalm 1:1 as my example.

I’m glad to know I’m on track, but I’m worried this train will be seeing a new set of tracks soon, leading me to a whole new destination of self-knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment